📼 Conocé la Historia del barrio más antiguo de Buenos Aires. Descubramos juntos su origen y características.
Art Nouveau started at the beginning of the 20th century in Europe. This style uses curves with the aim of representing nature and its sensuality. Rich Argentinean families hired European architects who created in the city buildings that followed this new trend, using iron and stained glass.
These buildings today are more than 100 years old and some are better preserved than others, but here we leave a list of the most important Art Nouveau buildings of Buenos Aires.
📼 Conocé la Historia de los Parques de Palermo, uno de los pulmones verdes de la ciudad. . Descubramos todos los atractivos de esta zona de Buenos Aires.
Let’s go back to 1810. At the time, Buenos Aires was the capital of the Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata, a colony of vast territories which included what we today know as Bolivia, Paraguay, Uruguay and parts of Brazil. This territory was under the responsibility of Viceroy Baltasar Hidalgo de Cisneros. This man appointed by the Supreme Central Junta of Spain, ruled the colony and represented the king. When news came that the King of Spain had abdicated in favor of Napoleon and that the Junta had been dissolved, many patriots argued that Viceroy Cisneros had no legitimacy and had to be removed.
Conocé la Historia de Plaza San Martín, un ícono de la ciudad. Descubramos juntos la evolución que tuvo esta importante plaza de Buenos Aires.
Unfortunately, there is no easy-access place from where to have a view of Uruguay’s skyline. Maybe, from an apartment on skyscraper in Puerto Madero it is possible to see it, but that wouldn’t be open to the public.
Conocé la Historia de Plaza de Mayo, el corazón de Buenos Aires. Descubramos juntos los importantes edificios que fueron construidos en el Centro Histórico de la ciudad.
It’s the oldest plaza in the city
But it hasn’t always been this big, nor had that name. In 1580, the founder of the city, Juan de Garay, created a plaza called Plaza Mayor in the part of town that today is limited by Rivadavia Ave., Hipólito Yrigoyen St., Defensa St, y Bolívar St. Towards the west, in what today is Rivadavia Ave., Yrigoyen St., Defensa St. and Balcarce Stt, there was a plot of barren land that in time would be known as Plaza de Armas.
Both plazas were unified in 1884, creating the 2-hectare plaza we know today. Its name honours the Argentinean Revolution for Independence of 1810.
La Recova of Buenos Aires
Between the first two plazas there used to be a building called La Recova built in 1804. It consisted of two big structures, with 11 arches each, united in the middle by a grand arch which connected both plazas. This building was the 1st market of the city. Here people came to buy shoes, clothes, meat and vegetables. It was demolished in 1884 to create the Plaza de Mayo.
The Pirámide de Mayo
Built in 1811, it is the first patriotic monument of the city. It celebrates the first anniversary of the May Revolution. But the monument we see today is not the original. The original monument is hidden inside the structure we see today. By 1856, the pyramid was very neglected, so the artist Prilidiano Pueyrredon restored it. He built a new pyramid around it and added a small Statue of Liberty that wears Phrygian cap in representation of the Argentinean Republic.
The Hollow of the Souls
It was believed that in today’s corner of Reconquista St and Rivadavia Ave. there used to be a place where the devil and the witches gathered to perform rituals. It was an area with unfinished buildings where the homeless laid to sleep. As the first Colon Theatre as built, the hollow disappeared.
The western part of the plaza was the place for public executions. Thieves were hanged or shot in front of the people. Their bodies were left hanging for a couple of hours.
In 1609 the first bullfight was organized on what used to be Plaza Mayor. It took two centuries to finally forbid them. Until then, the balconies of the buildings around the plaza were rented as theatre boxes, while the authorities and the most important people watched the bullfight from the balcony of the Cabildo (the house of government). These bullfights were followed by different performances with actors, dwarfs and masks.
In the area where today we find the Pink House, there used to be a stone fortification built in 1598 to keep European pirates away. Although the fort was demolished in 1882, you can see find some of its walls in the Pink House Museum.
Plaza de Mayo is one of the highlights of our Free Walking Tour City Center!
En este nuevo capítulo repasaremos la historia de La Boca, uno de los barrios más antiguos e influyentes de la ciudad de Buenos Aires. Recorreremos los inicios y la actualidad de este barrio porteño.
Para ver otros capítulos ingresá aquí.
En este tercer capítulo hablaremos acerca de la Historia de Tribunales. La Plaza Lavalle es el corazón de San Nicolás y allí podremos encontrar apasionantes edificaciones que cuentan la historia de este barrio porteño.